Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Good Times

I remember the good times, and I miss them. You see, things weren't always this bad. Mother used to love me and treat me good. She used to care about our family. A great wife and a great mommy. I remember how beautiful she looked, how warm she felt. In distant time, before the abuse started, I felt loved. Believe it or not, I used to be a good boy. Back when we had a 'magazine family' similar to The Brady Bunch. We were perfect. We lived in a modest home which sat in "the good" neighborhood. My father was a fireman. He was perfect in every aspect, and I remember that warm/special feeling when he winked at me and called me "Tiger." My mother was a woman who glowed with love for her family. She was very determined. She used to drive us around town just to tell stories of important landmarks. Pouring her knowledge into us about the culture and its history. We were fascinated, always. We had dinner, and family time... but most importantly, we had love. Mother always kept the house spotless and fresh. A room was never left untouched - even the flower garden! I swear, everything my mother toughed turned to gold. It doesn't even stop there. She was a lovely cook and every meal was a fantastic one. I remember feeling happy and fulfilled. Our home was normally filled with beautiful tunes that danced through the halls and filled each room. Home could never be more alive - until the holidays came! Every room had a different theme and holiday dinners were even more divine. I remember the way Christmas felt. At Christmas, there was no such thing as over decorating. Our Christmas tree never stood an inch under eight feet and never lacked TLC. Lights draped the poor thing. Ornaments jammed in every nook and cranny, though it never looked bad! As fast as Christmas came, it left. But the spring to come was nevertheless magical. Mother and father would hauled us into the station wagon along with bags and suitcases and other miscellaneous items. Where were we going, you may ask? My favorite place in the world... the Russian River! We used to have a lot of family adventures, and I remember all of them. I remember never feeling so safe and warm!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    Our family truly was fantastic. I also remember the adventures we took. I wish father had been with us for more of them. I remember running up the aquarium steps with you as to see the fish that much sooner. I sometimes miss Thor, that crazy turtle you named. Rejoice in the memories brother, it's all we have left now.

    Sincerely,
    Your Brother

    ReplyDelete